Thursday, October 30, 2008

People on the bus

I often encounter many interesting characters on the bus, usually in the afternoon. Some how I manage to sit right next to these people. And because I'm pregnant I think that means "open invitation to comment to on my growing belly."

Well yesterday's bus conversation was the worst one yet. I get on the C (I should have waited for the A which was only 30 seconds behind the C and flew by us about 2 stops later), but I got on the C and sat down in the front, near a woman who rudely was taking up 2 seats with her bag. As soon as I sat down she said, "What are you having?" I didn't quite hear her so I asked "what?" and she repeated her question. In a very excited manner I responded "a girl!" And she responded to me with, "I'm having an abortion tomorrow."

I didn't know what to do or say. I turned my head, first angry and disgusted then sad. I almost moved to the back of the bus because she then continued her conversation with me. I tried to make it obvious I wasn't interested in talking to her but she kept going. I wasn't about to tell her that I thought she was wrong, the bus was over crowded and is just not the place for that kind of conversation. So as I tried to ignore her I also said a prayer for her. It was all I could think to do.

3 comments:

Liz, Hans, Emmet, and Baby Schafer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Liz, Hans, Emmet, and Baby Schafer said...

WOW! Absolutely amazing what some people will do and say in a public place. You absolutely did the right thing by saying a prayer for her, and maybe, you never know that is and will be the one thing she needed! I can only imagine how hurt you were to hear those words come from her mouth, just remember that you did the right thing.

superscalifragilisticexpealidocious said...

oh my gosh. Wow. That's..crazy.